In 2013, Brighton Permaculture Trust became a charitable company 'to promote sustainable development for the benefit of the public'.
We have always worked to do this, but becoming a charity increases our accountability, allows us to attract new sources of funds, and exempts us from some taxation.
Brighton Permaculture Trust is a membership organisation, and we would like to invite you to become a member or renew your membership.
What members do
You may already be involved - coming to events, attending courses or volunteering - but, under our charitable constitution, signed-up members have a special role.
Members can vote on resolutions and in trustee elections at General Meetings of the charity, broadening our accountability and democracy. Becoming a member supports our strength as a growing organisation, and we would welcome your involvement.
What membership involves
Membership is currently free and requires only some simple agreements, as outlined below.
If you are happy to join as a member - and we would be happy if you did - then please read the membership agreement and sign up below.
To become a member, we ask you to:
- Support Permaculture ethics (earth care, people care and fair shares - see the Permaculture Association for more about this).
- Support our our aims as a charity.
- Treat members, staff and volunteers in Brighton Permaculture Trust respectfully.
- Not to misrepresent Brighton Permaculture Trust or to offer goods and services on its behalf without authorisation.
- Accept liability of up to £10 in the unlikely event that Brighton Permaculture Trust closes with debts. Liability lasts for a year after your membership ends.
- Receive email news and notices from Brighton Permaculture Trust (we will not give your email address to other organisations).
How to renew/resign your membership
Membership runs for one year from the time you sign up. You will be invited to renew your membership shortly before it expires. You can resign by writing or emailing us at any time.
Membership regulations are outlined in our Articles of Association.
Ready to join?