We're always looking for more volunteers to help us tend this beautiful orchard!
Come along to one of our volunteer days where you can get stuck in and enjoy the beautiful space and view. Find out when the next one is happening.
What volunteers do
Racehill Orchard is a great place to meet people and spend some time in nature. Activities will vary each week as we respond to the seasons, however tea and coffee breaks are always guaranteed!
Currently a member of the Racehill Orchard team is there each Sunday to organise volunteers on a number of tasks. If you’d like to join in simply sign up for our Racehill volunteer list and we’ll email you to let you know about the upcoming activities. You can choose which days you want to help out with and there is no obligation to help out each week.
This site is massive, so there are many different jobs, with lots of opportunity to help out and learn new skills. For example, you might be:
- Bramble bashing and clearing scrub
- Mulching or watering the fruit trees
- Picking up litter
- Drinking cups of tea and eating biscuits
- Spotting interesting bits of wildlife, flowers and some edible plants
- Chatting to nice people and enjoying the lovely view
What do I need to bring?
- Bring sturdy footwear (no sandals), as the site has a lot of brambles, nettles and some broken glass.
- Wear tough clothes you don't mind getting dirty or torn.
- Bring lightweight clothing to cover arms, legs and ankles completely on sunny days: some plants on site can cause serious irritation to skin exposed to sunlight.
- Sometimes it can be quite cold up there, as it is exposed on the side of a hill, so remember to dress warmly.
- Bring waterproofs, depending on the weather.
- Bring refreshments and lunch if you need it.
Who can come?
We’re always in need of new volunteers at Racehill however as the orchard is in its early stages of development the terrain is still very uneven and there are certain plants that should be avoided. Children under the age of 18 and people with support needs are very welcome but must be accompanied by a parent/carer.
We recommend that you sign up to our Racehill volunteer list to stay informed of dates and cancellations.