Visit Hollingdean, including school forest gardens, estate orchards, edible plantings in parks, demonstration front gardens and more.
Children are welcome when supervised by an adult, and children under 10 attend for free. Dogs must be kept on a lead.
What you’ll see
The tour will include visits to:
- Hertford Junior school – school grounds permaculture design with established forest garden, shelter belts, ponds, chickens, wildlife habitats, etc
- Cedar Centre – perennial food gardens, raised beds and a school orchard
- Hollingdean Park – orchard/forest garden with edible plantings
- Hollingdean Estate Orchard – 120 young fruit/nut tree orchard planted in green spaces around the estate and 200 seedling trees, including cropping and nitrogen fixing species
- Real Food Hollingdean – A permaculture designed front garden, with a forest garden corner, raised beds and water harvesting – designed to inspire others to do the same
The tour will be led by Stephen Gehrels, the ‘Green It Up’ eco schools projects manager for Brighton Permaculture Trust. Stephan has led on all the projects on the tour.
What to bring
The tour will be outdoors and include a walk of approximately two miles, so please dress appropriately.
After the tour, weather-permitting, there will be a bonfire in the forest garden at Hertford Junior School. If you wish to attend, please bring food to share that doesn’t require reheating.
We endeavour to accommodate people with various access issues. If you have limited mobility or a disability that you think may affect your ability to attend, please contact us before booking to discuss how you can be accommodated. It is often possible to use a vehicle to get right up to venues or join us at various points on visits. Please let us know if you would like to do this.
The tour will be held at various locations within walking distance around Hollingdean. Please meet at:
Hertford Junior School
Hertford Junior Scool is located in Hollingdean, Brighton, on Lynchet Close and very close to Hollingdean Park.
Find out more
If the tour inspires you and you’d like to learn more about permaculture gardening or school/community orchards, we offer a range of projects, courses and events that might interest you: