This free event runs from 11am to 5pm in Stanmer Park, Brighton.
Have a thoroughly apple-themed day at our annual seasonal celebration in and around the orchards. The event is FREE and EVERYONE is welcome.
Want to be involved? It takes an army of cheery, generous volunteers to make Apple Day Brighton happen. There are many ways to help, from pressing apple juice to working in the apple cafe. Learn how to join our volunteer team.
Apple Day Brighton, hosted by Brighton Permaculture Trust, has been growing annually from strength to strength and has quickly become established as an annual date for the diary.
Our harvest celebration draws thousands of people each year to beautiful Stanmer Park, the heart of our organisation.
Share our poster to spread the word!
- Buy delicious homemade and French produce from our own stall. You won't be able to resist our chutneys, preserves, ciders, juice and of course freshly picked APPLES from our own and local orchards. For the first time, the Brighton Permaculture Trust bar will be proudly serving our very own Stanmer Scrumpy made with apples from our scrumping project.
- The ever popular Apple Café – staffed and cooked for by volunteers, using fruit we scrumped from around Brighton & Hove and quality ingredients donated by Infinity Foods
- Orchard and plot tours throughout the day
- Display of Sussex apple varieties
- Sussex fruit tasting
- Fruit growing advice and tree sales
- Apple identification with expert Steve Oram from the People's Trust for Endangered Species
- Learn more about what Brighton Permaculture Trust does year round at our info point
Fruit Factory & Fresh Juice
Our all new Fruit Factory is being built – hooray! The Fruit Factory will provide a home to the scrumping project, allowing us to process up to 40 tons of unwanted fruit from local gardens and orchards into delicious products while talking to the passing public about what truly local food is all about.
Come and see how progress is going, have a go at using our traditional press, and watch our team make huge quantities of juice throughout the day from apples from our orchards and scrumped from Brighton & Hove. Enjoy a cup of the freshest pressed juice to quench your thirst.
Entertainment and Activities
Click on one of the options below to find out more.
Food Glorious Food
Stalls and Activities
Attending in 2016 are...
- Ashurst Organics
- Bee Cosmetics
- Blackman Bee Farm
- Brighton and Hove Food Partnership
- Brighton Steiner School
- Charlie's Chocolates
- College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Community Chef
- Compassion in World Farming
- High Weald Dairy
- Peacehaven Community Orchard
- Priya's Henna Art
- Ruths of Cooksbridge
- Sacred Earth Community Benefit Society
- Sew me up
- Stanmer Organics
- Steve Nutter Funfair
- Sussex Badger Vaccination Project
- Sussex Wildlife Trust
- Sussex Woodsman
- Woodland Trust
- WordWise Entertainment
If you wanted to know what the old apple tree in your garden is, then we'll be offering apple identification with expert Steve Oram from the People's Trust for Endangered Species.
From each tree, bring three or more ripe fruits and a shoot with representative leaves; all must be strong and healthy. The fruit should be in good condition as damaged, misshapen or poor specimens are very difficult to name. If possible, the fruit should be mature and show the characteristic size, shape and colour.
Where possible, we recommend using public transport to come to the event in line with our sustainability principles.
The Bike Train is offering fun stewarded bike train services from central Brighton to Stanmer Park. Get details. Make use of their Bike Park Hub in Stanmer to lock up your bike, refresh yourself at their cafe stall, or see to a bike injury at their bike repair point.
Journey planner: Getting to Stanmer Park by bike
Brighton and Hove bus #78 is available to and from Brighton. Additional buses for the day mean that there will be buses every half hour from 10am to 5pm.
Journey planner: Getting to Stanmer Park by bus
Public attending the event by vehicle will need to pay £6 parking in our designated temporary car park. All donations go towards funding the event.
Journey planner: Getting to Stanmer Park by car
Train services are available to Falmer Station with a 10-15 min walk to the event through Stanmer Park.
There is a bus replacement service on the trains from Brighton to Lewes on 2nd October, which affects anyone trying to get to the park from Falmer train station. Learn more.
Journey planner: Getting to Stanmer Park by train
We need your help! If you'd like to join the team that puts on this wonderful event, we're still seeking volunteers. Join us.
A taste of Apple Day Brighton...
Thanks to our sponsor
For further information or to get involved, please contact us.